Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Twitter Dilemma.

I am feeling emo. And so as not to translate my emo-ness here today because this is a non-emo blog! So, I saw this pre-prepared post from 2 weeks ago. Here goes :

How useful Twitter is (are?) to you all boils down to the people you follow.

I mentioned in my AB214 presentation that one advantage of using Twitter is that you can receive/hear about news before they break. And you can hear the stuff that is not usually published on newspaper.

All these advantages are only yours IF you follow the right people.

But, how do you know who is the right person to follow? Unless you have been dabbling in the circle (locally and globally) for quite some time, it’s pretty hard to dice out and sieve out whom to follow. Especially if you are a newbie like me.

Of course, you can follow everyone who follows you and occasionally “snoop” around your friends’ followers or people they are following. Or use TweetScan to search for people who have the same interest as you (absolutely not reliable, in my opinion. find out why at end of post).

Eventually, you will end up following a huge number of people. Flooded with tweets left, right and center. Important tweets, useful tweets, garbage tweets. All these will end up flooding you and covering up tweet updates from friends.

So how? Any solutions? *shrugs*

To me, I am getting slightly tired of Twitter? Don’t get me wrong. I still like it because (as previously mentioned) I can post my snapshot thoughts there. But it’s not catching on with my friends! And I am shy(my friends are so going to die from laughter) and anti-social (okay, I just take a long time to warm up to people) so I am lazy to go actively hunt for friends.

Then there’s all those problems is facing these days.

It’s starting to irritate me *sigh*

I am sick of seeing this:

It used to be kind of cute! But after awhile, it's just BLEH!

Ok, Huishan, over and out!!

*Now, I know TweetScan allows to search for people to follow based on keywords or topics. But how reliable is that? For example, I am looking for someone who is as much of a ANTM fan as I am. So I go to TweetScan and search for "ANTM", and say..I found one and I decided to follow him since I think he likes ANTM too. BUT! It turns out that THAT was the only time he tweets about ANTM. It's a total waste of time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've found that the best way to find people you want to follow is not via Twitter (though Tweetscan works), but via blogs. Like read more blogs, find people interesting then add them there.

Twitterlocal.net is also good for finding people locally.

Daryl Tay
http://uniquefrequency.com