Friday, May 16, 2008

Why Lost is so good?

While watching Lost and debating with myself whether to believe what Ben (one of The Others) was telling Locke, it strikes me why Lost is so good. Why viewers keep coming back even after Season 2 was a flop.

It's because it's engaging? Let me elaborate.

We are familiar with shows like Gossip Girls, Grey's Anatomy and whats-that-show-with-Marcia Cross. After all the melodrama and back-stabbing and oh-i-love-her-but-she-loves-him, we start to feel kind of bored and get the been-there-done-that feeling, no? Besides, all these dramas are always revolving around more or less the same issue (Season 2 was kind of a flop because it kept revolving around the blardy hatch!).

Then comes Lost! Woohoo~!

This show leaves you in suspense. Makes you think and ask questions. Makes you guess and so when we guess, we want to know if our guess are correct. So, we keep going back to the show in the hope of verifying our guess. When The Others tell a lie, we want to see if we can outsmart the producers/writers/characters by not believing that lie! (I always always believe in the lie! DUMB!)

Of course, I think what the producers have learn from Season 2 is that you can't lead the audience on forever. Eventually, they will get fed up and stop watching/watch selectively. So they start inserting small mysteries that gets solve in one episode!

I don't know if these episode/mysteries have always been in place, but I just started noticing them in Season 3. Okay, just last night when I sneaked online to watch one episode. It was the episode called, "Exposé" about Nikki and Paulo. I don't know if their stories will be tie into future episodes, but my curiosity was pretty satisfied last night. And that episode has sort of refresh my appetite for Lost :D

Beside, there's the lies told by The Others! It's so ingenious! Mixing truth and lies together. Even though they are ultimately telling a lie, the minute amount of truth in them makes them all so believable! You never know when what they are saying is the truth or the lie and you end up debating with your friends (if they follow the show as well) or yourself (if you are watching alone, like me).

Of course, there's also the tiny love triangle between (of?) Swayer, Kate and Jack to satisfy the girl in me. Humor usually comes in the form of Hurley and the nicknames Swayer uses to call people.

Then there's the little surprises that totally blows you away! Woohoo!

My expectations for Lost is slowly building up again. So hopefully, it will not disappoint me and squash those expectations!

So how's Lost for you? Love it? Hate it? Can't be bothered about it?

1 comment:

Fat Ghost said...

no comments.....haha. but i love lost.